Thursday, September 30, 2010

Apricot Chicken

The Red Rooster Restaurant used to be in North Kingstown and Norman LeClair was the chef there. He put out a few good cookbooks, but of all his recipes this was my favorite.

2 whole chicken breasts (I usually use a bunch of boneless, skinless tenders instead, enough for my family)
If using the whole chicken breasts, they should be skinned, boned, halved and flattened with excess fat removed.

1/2 cup flavored bread crumbs (I use plain)

4 mushroom caps, stems removed (if I don't have mushrooms I skip this step it's not crucial)

2 tsp. butter

Glaze:

1/2 c. apricot jelly

 2 garlic cloves minced

1/8 tsp ground ginger

Pinch of crushed red pepper (I skip this)

1 Tablespoon white vinegar

1 Tablespoon soy sauce

In a flat dish, press crumbs into chicken on both sides. Reserve.

Mix well in bowl: apricot jelly, ginger, garlic, red pepper, vinegar, soy sauce.  Reserve.

Using 1/2 of butter, butter one oven proof dish (I just spray the dish with cooking spray.)

Lay out chicken in the dish.

Top with mushrooms if using.

Spoon glaze on chicken and mushrooms.

Dot with butter.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. 

Remove to serving plates and spoon remaining glaze on chicken.

I serve this over white rice.


No comments: