Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Grandma Grello's Christmas Prune Cookies

This recipe, as it turns out, is from Aunty Madeline to Grandma Grello. From what I can see on the card itself, the amount of brandy used has increased tremendously since it first was written; from 1/4 cup to 1 whole cup. Not sure if any of that is for drinking on the side or not!  Grandma was quite concerned when I questioned her about this recipe, that I didn't really "have it down" and that I needed to really see it in person to truly understand it. So for now I am posting it as is, but I hope to really get to see it in person and then I can add to this post as needed. 

Ingredients:

Dough
6 cups of flour
3 tsp. baking powder
6 eggs beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 cup crisco
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla 

Filling
2 boxes of prunes (24 oz.)
1/2 pound raisins (1 1/2 boxes)
two 10 oz jars of maraschino cherries drained and chopped
1 cup sugar
1 cup of brewed black coffee (in which you cook the cherries)
1 cup of brandy

Directions:
Boil the prunes and raisins in one cup of black coffee. Cool.

Then drain and add the drained and chopped cherries and the cup of sugar.

Add one cup of brandy.

Roll out dough (she says here two recipes of dough makes 13 strips.)

Fill with prune/raisin/cherry filling and roll.

There currently is nothing written here about a glaze for the tops. However, Valerie has told me in the past that the egg buscuit recipe is the same as the prune cookie recipe (minus the filling) so the glaze may be that glaze. Guess we need the egg buscuit recipe next!

No comments: