Sunday, August 22, 2010

Grandma Willis's Peach Cobbler August 1994

Don's grandmother made this for us while we were visiting her in Alabama in 1994 and I've made it every summer since. One summer, she was here and I made it for her, and she said "Mmm...Jen, this is so good, I'd love the recipe!" I said "Grandma, this is YOUR recipe!" She said, "Oh, can you give it to me again? I forgot it."
She died two summers ago and I think of her every time I make it.

Ingredients:

6 to 8 large ripe peaches peeled and sliced

2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 c to 1 c. sugar

Crust:

1 cup all purpose flour
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
2 egg whites stiffly beaten


Directions:
Combine peaches, cornstarch and sugar.
Pour into a greased 13x9x2 pan.
For crust, combine all ingredients except egg whites in mixing bowl.
Gently fold whites into batter.
Spread batter over peaches.


Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until fruit is bubbly around edges and top is golden.

Makes 12 servings

Delicious with vanilla ice cream on top!

No comments: